Follow this simple recipe to prepare a healthy yet delicious Indian dish. These low-fat, high-protein wraps are bursting with flavor from fresh veggies and spices. Pair with fresh mango and a cucumber yogurt condiment known as raita.
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 sweet potato, peeled
• 2 red, yellow, green or orange bell peppers, seeded and sliced
• 1 medium tomato, chopped
• 1 sweet onion, sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste (or 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger)
• 1/3 tablespoon garlic paste (or 1 clove garlic, minced)
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or paprika)
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup water
• 4 medium grilled or cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
• 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
• 1/3 medium cucumber, peeled and grated
• 1 cup chopped lettuce
• 4 whole-wheat tortillas (or flatbread, warmed)
• Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
• 1 cup fresh mango slices (optional)
In a medium saute pan over moderate heat, warm the oil. Add the sweet potato, bell peppers, tomato, onion, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and cook until slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
Add 3 tablespoons water and chicken, and continue to cook for several more minutes.
In a medium bowl, make the raita by stirring together the yogurt, cucumber and the remaining 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Place lettuce and a scoop of chicken masala mixture in the center of each tortilla or roll. Add a spoonful of the raita to each wrap, or serve it on the side, along with fresh mango slices.
Number of servings: 4
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 73 mg
Sodium: 415 mg
Total carbohydrates: 42 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 12 g
Protein: 21 g
Calcium: 180 mg